Saturday 14 June 2014

T- 1 Day

Quick recap of the past three months:

  • I've found out way more about the program, including what our classes will be like, trips, community service, safety, etc.
  • I've learned the entire Arabic alphabet and some vocab!
  • Almost all of us  heading to Oman connected over Facebook, and spent three months chatting about Oman.
    • Last week we found out that half the original Oman-bound girls, all the graduating seniors, are now going to Morocco because of visa issues. So there will only be seven of us in Oman! While I'm disappointed I won't get to meet the other seven girls, with only seven of us there we'll get even more personal and focused  Arabic lessons, and I'm sure we'll all get to know each other supersuper well.
  • We got all our flight info. I'm flying to DC tomorrow afternoon, then Tuesday we all get on a 13.5 hour flight to Dubai, where after a longish layover we have a one hour flight to Muscat. We arrive in Oman late Wednesday evening (Omani time). On the way back, we fly to Frankfurt, and I separate from the group there to go to England to visit family.
  • In DC we'll have about 10 different activities ranging from talking with alumni to a talk on Islam to a visit to the Omani embassy! Sometime in DC I'll post again about all of this.
  • Two days ago we found out our host families! I'll have five host siblings: brothers that are 21, 14, 12, and 2 1/2, and a sister who is about to turn 18. From the little information I have the family seems great! (And their house is gorgeous)
I can't believe I'm leaving tomorrow--I just finished my last finals yesterday, and have been so busy that I haven't had much time to prepare. I leave home in 20 hours and haven't really started packing yet....better get to that!
-Izzy

No comments:

Post a Comment